Sunday, June 1, 2014

Robin Lane and The Chartbusters

Robin Lane and The Chartbusters

I had great expectations with this female fronted band from the past. I think I expected too much. Vocally. I think she tries too hard to sing and forgets what she is singing about. 
From Left To Right: Asa Brebner (guitar), Robin Lane (vocals), 
Leroy Radcliffe (guitar), Scott Baerenwald (bass),  Tim Jackson (drums)

Listening to "When Things Go Wrong", Robin's vocals sound like a second rate Ann Wilson meets Rindy Ross from Quarterflash. While the song it self isn't half bad, it misses a hook to draw you in. 

When Things Go Wrong

There's no hiding the fact that Robin can sing, but it is hiding behind mediocre written songs and lifeless rhythm guitars. The guitar solos at times are quite nice and rise above the songs themselves.
I did find one song in particular that I will add to my library of songs, and that song is "Without You".
The production value is quite a difference compared to the other songs I have heard. The added effects cover the flaws in Robin's vocals and these guitars are busy and vibrant. The drums and bass also stand out and are top notch. I was expecting another break away guitar solo in the break and got...nothing. Easily my favorite song and captures some of the live energy and magic on stage. This band is better heard live, as the recorded studio version miss their mark. 
Without You


 Would I have listened to this if I knew about it? 


All in all I was a bit let down and perhaps expected way too much from the hype perceiving this band. My verdict is a No. The reasoning is that the music at that time was so plentiful and amazing that I would have eventually moved them to the bottom of the pile of my regularly rotated ventures. 2.5 out of 5.




2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that she was trying to hard. got hit over the head by something at that time that took her out of her "real" ability to sing and put her on a mission that had a mind to obliterate melody. As for the songs, I think there are some good ones but that is subjective. There was a lot of good music out then I loved being in a band, first time, and that's about it. I think I've written lots of better songs since that time but who cares. Maybe I'll send you the one I've been working on for the last few years, not that I really care what you think but you are spot on about the trying too hard and forgetting what I was singing about. It was all emotion with me. I was on a ride and not really in control of where we were going. Thanks rL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin Lane & The Chartbusters were effin AWESOME. Robin had & still has a great voice. Its rock, & it rocked. I'm 61 now, & had the LP albums when they came out, & to me they sound as good now as then. The self titled album production was awesome- the mix was perfect.. . I'm listening now on a bluetooth speaker & the clarity is amazing (more current music on this speaker doesn't sound nearly this good)...

      Delete